Retry The John Ray Walk -2/2

We collected ourselves and left White Notley. We crossed over a few stiles, crossed the field towards Cressing Temple.




We missed the lunch at White Notley, but we, at least I, walked with a light step. When I lived in Japan, I had busy days commuting between office and home, wearing a nice dress and high heels. I often used public transport or car, definitely I had an urban life. I wouldn't say I was tired of having such a life, but my lifestyle has changed since I moved to the UK. I quite like my current lifestyle. And also, I didn't have a lot of chance to walk with trainers and enjoy the nature like this. I remember when we had the first try to walk 'the John Ray Walk', I felt tired soon. But this time, I had a strength, probably because I have walked a lot everyday, more than before.


Anyway, we kept walking and walking.


I saw another ford.



It was really quiet. Sometimes we could hear bird's singing from far distance.


Next, we needed to cross the rail track.



Soon after we passed through a kissing gate, we reached another field. The map says 'crossfield path', but path was not to be found anywhere... There were some scarecrows as if they kept watching us to say 'no entry', rather than to birds. Eventually we decided to cross the field while not trying to step on plants as much as we could.



There were tractor's tire tracks widthways, but not lengthways...


And then, we reached Witham Road, the most dangerous area to coss. We always hold hands unconsciously when we cross roads. Is that means always together when we die??? Anyway, the stile on the opposite side was covered with nettles and plants, it was hard to find it.


Over the bushes, it was the Cressing Temple. I confess that I had thought Cressing Temple was the name of village, but it was the historical site with facility. It was nice - there was the Wilkin & Sons' tea room!! Goody! For this reason, the pub in White Notley must be closed. Cream tea was attractive, but I ordered quiche of the day to get an energy for the rest of walk. It was soooo nice!


I wanted to browse the facility, but maybe next time. We started to walk again, because our purpose was to achieve 'the John Ray Walk' this time.



We needed to walk on the road towards Silver End for a while, which was the point we gave up on before. Soon after we entered the public footpath again, the views brought us all rushing back to the previous walk. We enjoyed watching plants and insects (I don't like insects though...).




I realised that I quite like this walking course with a lot of nature.


Can you see it? A pheasant was there.


Again, a complicated arrow sign :)


Last time we walked this path, it was more muddy. It was dry this time, but a few trees had fell down, maybe because of storm?



We crossed the road and I met a black cat with a red choker ring.


And we reached the field. I remember plants here were taller before.



Finally, we walked Cut Throat Lane and back to Witham. We completed 9 miles walking with proper route. It was perfect! We are so happy what we've done.


Part 1. Braintree to White Notley
Part 2. White Notley to Witham (This article)

The map of 'The John Ray Walk' is available from here; http://johnraytrust.com/the-john-ray-walk. It's absolutely helpful. We walked this course with only this map.

Popular Posts